Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Justin 2007 Cabnernet Sauvignon

It's Tuesday so it must be Temple night. To commemorate tonight's gathering I selected a bottle of Justin 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon. Justin is a lovely winery in the Paso Robles area and dodging Napa for this Central Coastal area of California was a good choice. From the moment Nick opened the bottle both Sarah and I noticed a fantastic plum aroma. A closer examination brought out hints of cherry and vanilla along with the plum for a fantastic promise of a fruit-forward fun Cab. As the wine opened up a little more I got hints of cocoa and a touch of earthiness that was quite lovely in the mix. On the tongue we were treated to lovely black fruits along with a touch of sweet oakiness, good acidity and smooth tannins combining to create a medium-long finish resulting in a young but very approachable wine. If you think young Cabs are either too harsh or too simple to enjoy I suggest you plop down the $20 or so to get a bottle and try it out.

Number of wines reviewed in 2010: 15

3 comments:

Teena said...

Justin 2007 Cabernet Sauvignon is really a great wine. Aside from Napa that offer great wines, Sonoma wine country has great wines to offer too.

Michael Pape, AW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael Pape, AW said...

Had to delete the last comment, didn't like what I wrote ;-)

I agree with you Teena, Sonoma offers some lovely wines. Speaking in sweeping generalities I tend to get my Cabs from Napa and my Pinot from Sonoma (I have a Bordeaux/Burgundy type of association going on). I do have to say though, for sheer fun in wine tasting I tend to like the wineries in Paso Robles and Santa Ynez, and have found a few gems down this way in the Temecula AVA.