Thursday, June 11, 2009

Alex's Red Barn Syrah 2005

I didn't know what to drink last night while reading. I wasn't in the mood for a lighter summer wine because when you live a few blocks from the ocean in San Diego you typically do not have hot evenings (in fact, it was pretty overcast most of the day). I was hunting through my red wines and came across a bottle of Alex's Red Barn Syrah, 2005. As regular readers know I really enjoy the wines from Alex's Red Barn. They have a nice, minimal-touch style that really lets the wine speak without a lot of prodding and twisting from the winemaker. How this little gem escaped me I don't know but I eagerly popped the cork to be greeted with the lovely nose of cassis, plum, a touch of smoke, and an undertone of spice to come. The wine was pretty lean for what is often known as a big red. Good acidity and just enough tannin to make you appreciate it without overwhelming the taste buds. The flavors were a blend of spice (hints of white pepper) and black fruit blending with the lightish tannins and a touch of heat from the alcohol to provide a lovely medium-length finish.

Wines reviewed in 2009: 187

No comments: