Friday, May 28, 2010

Torre Zambra Winery 2005 Colle Maggio/Montepulciano d’Abruzzo

Italy. Everyone knows Chianti (from the Sangiovese grape) and Barolo (from the Nebbiolo grape), but how many know the Montepulciano grape? Well if you don't know about it I have to say the search can definitely be worth it. Here I was able to sample a lovely Italian wine that was a little off the American beaten path that didn't make me sweat when I paid for it. The wine was deeply colored, sill a little purple with a deep core and color bleeding out to the rim. On the nose I was greeted with black almost jammy fruits, dark chocolate, a hint of espresso and what I could best describe as "sweet oak". The wine was medium-full bodied, excellent acidity, smooth, almost sweet tannins and loaded with ripe black fruit all swirling together to give a medium-long finish. A fine companion to any roasted or grilled meat.

Number of wines reviewed in 2010: 70

No comments: