Friday, October 24, 2008

Two Traditional Wines

News has been a bit depressing both in terms of media as well as familial. Last night before the cut-off time of fasting before my yearly physical I went to The Vine. Nice crowd, not so loud I couldn't think. While contemplating the universe and my place in it I decided it would be a "red night" and selected the following:

2004 White Oak Merlot, 25th Anniversary. At 89% Merlot and 11% Cabernet Sauvignon this was a delightful wine from Napa. Ruby red, rich in color as well as aroma and taste that hinted of cherries, chocolate and just a hint of blackberry. Beautifully balanced fruit, alcohol and tannins hitting all areas of the tongue and mouth like a good wine should. The soft tannins gave a long finish that was quite enjoyable.

2005 Seven Hills Cabernet Sauvignon. This wine made my "good choices" a two-for-two. This is what a Cab should be... medium bodied, deep color, balanced alcohol and tannins and delivering black currants, berries, a little peppery spice and a hint of vanilla all blending together to make me go "yum".

After a couple of glasses and some fun wine-related conversation with Brian I went home, a little lighter in the heart.

No comments: