Thursday, October 30, 2008

2005 Fess Parker Melange Blanc

It's been hot lately so I'm switching from my beloved reds to whites today. It was a tough decision but I pulled a bottle of Fess Parker Melange Blanc 2005 from my cooler. As I have stated before I find ol' Dan'l... er, Fess, a place that improves with virtually every bottle I open. This wine is a white Rhone blend of Rousanne, Marsanne and Grenache Blanc. This cool wine is a pretty bright straw color that looks good in crystal. The aroma and flavors remind me of a melon-based fruit salad garnished with honeysuckle and wild flowers (ok, when I was kid I did taste honeysuckle but I didn't eat wild flowers... bear with me on the mental imagery folks). The wine brings along with the fruit a touch of flinty "minerality" in the mouth (and no, I never licked flint either) and a little sweetness in finish. My one complaint is that it could use a touch more acid in its structure to lend it some crispness that would make it an even better compliment on a hot "Indian summer" day.

No comments: