Saturday, July 12, 2008

Taste of Spain - Gran Feudo Reserva Viñas Viejas

Before going to The Old Globe's production of All's Well That Ends Well Mr. Beau took me to dinner at The Prado. Having a hard time deciding what to get I decided to try the Gran Feudo Reserva Viñas Viejas 2002, a blend of Tempranillo with a little Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, and Garnacha (Grenache) with my portion of their tasty New York Strip (often Mr. Beau and I split plates due to the fact that we prefer not to stuff ourselves). I was very happy with the pairing, the wine complementing the beef and the Cabernet reduction prepared by the chef. The Reserva had a nice deep, rich color with a complex nose delivering ripe fruit with a hint of smokiness. Excellent rounded mouthfeel, nice and full but not sharp tannins with a slightly dry, spicy finish. I could detect some oak but it wasn't an impairment to the enjoyment because of the deep and complex fruit it delivered. I will keep an eye out for this wine and look forward to tasting other years to compare.

No comments: