Sunday, July 27, 2008

Fess Parker 2006 Ashley's Vineyard Pinot Noir

Last night I opened a bottle of Fess Parker's 2006 Pinot Noir, Ashley's Vineyard. I knew of the wine's pedigree (stellar) and fears of it being too young to the contrary wanted to taste it. I was not disappointed. Yes, it was a little young to be opened but what it delivered told me that I was right to hide my second bottle. This young Pinot Noir was scrumptious! The wine was visually clean showing beautiful translucent red coloring. The nose presented a youthful exuberance, tight cherries and raspberries and just a touch of oak with a near perfect balance of jammy fruit, alcohol, and tannin in the mouth that says the wine can age gracefully. Unlike most young wines the tannins were attention getting but not abrasive (no one at the table demanded a glass of water to rehydrate) and for those of us that like Burgundian wines there was that touch of Old World earthiness. The finish was medium length, just long enough to savor the current taste and teasing us to take the next sip.

I can't wait to see what this wine will be like in 12 months... I've hidden my bottle in a cool, dark place and updated my Yahoo calendar to text me in a year. If you're nice to me over the coming year I might share.

No comments: