Monday, June 6, 2011

Vine Cliff Chardonnay 2006

It turned a little warm and I was looking for something a little more cool than most of what is in my storage. With Chardonnay, especially one you don't know, it can be a gamble. Some Chardonnays are pretty heavy, oaked, spicy, nice but more of a "winter Chardonnay" to me. I was glad to find this lovely offering from Vine Cliff in the Carneros AVA in California. If you like Chardonnay with lots of fruit with just a kiss of oak then this is one to check out (though a little toward the top end of what I usually review when it comes to price, about $32 a bottle). On the nose I got nice lemon zest, a hint of pineapple, a touch of peach, and just the lightest hint of cinnamon. The wine is medium bodied, with nice acidity, smooth and delicious giving up flavors of pineapple, apple, and a little vanilla and caramel that all comes together in a medium/(+) length finish. This wine is peaking but should be quite fine through 2012.

Number of wines reviewed in 2011: 26

No comments: