Thursday, April 7, 2011

Foley Chardonnay 2008 "Rancho Santa Rosa"

I still remember the first time I tried a Foley wine, it was on a trip with my love and our friends Tio Ely and Cory to the Santa Ynez area for wine tasting. I enjoyed it so much I became a wine club member and the enjoyment has continued to this day. Unlike the previously reviewed "Steel", this is one of Foley's oaked Chardonnays but unlike some I've had they used good judgment. Not overly spicy or toasty and not buttery (a quarter of the wine was prevented from completing malolactic fermentation), this give you the best of both worlds. On the nose you get lovely honeysuckle, apples, a touch of ripe citrus and a little bit of toastiness. Once in the mouth you notice that this medium/(+) bodied wine has a nice bit of acid, nothing overpowering but not at all flabby, good fruit with a touch of nuttiness, and a medium length finish with a hint of spice in it. Thoroughly enjoyable, this wine should hold up well at least through 2013.

Number of wines reviewed in 2011: 22

No comments: