Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Chateau Coutet Sauternes Barsac 2005

My friend Sarah and I celebrated her birthday at Disneyland's acclaimed Napa Rose restaurant. I chose their "Vintner's Table" option which is a four course meal that is paired with wines. For dessert I was served this lovely Bordeaux dessert wine, Chateau Coutet. Now generally I am not a fan of sweet wines (I save that for the husband) but I have to say this was a total delight. Being from the Graves area of Bordeaux this wine is a blend of Sémillon and Sauvignon Blanc that has been affected by Botrytis cinerea or "noble rot". It's amazing how anything with the word "rot" in it can produce something so delicious is quite humorous. Golden hued in the glass I was met with aromas of honey, apricot, and a touch of dried pineapple and oaky spice. Full-bodied, fat honeyed fruit and a touch of brown sugar with a surprising amount of acid all swirling together in the mouth delivered a long, tasty finish that was fantastic. I think this wine is still a little young and look forward to tasting it in another year or two.

Number of wines reviewed in 2011: 21

No comments: