Monday, February 2, 2009

Birthday At Cafe Bleu

Last Friday was my birthday and since my beau was out of town my friends Cory and Elbert took me out for drinks and dinner at Cafe Bleu. As I got out of work earlier than they did I arrived for happy hour and decided to add to my tastings count while waiting for them. I have to say, I enjoyed every wine I tasted:

  • Brandal Albarino 2005: From the Rias Baixas region of Spain. My notes from the evening: Floral nose. Bracing acidity. Grapefruit. Hints of minerality leading into a nice medium-length finish. Tasty.

  • Cono Sur Pinot Noir 2007: Another tasty little offering from Chile. My self-texted notes read "Cherry color. Earth, asphalt, cherry fruit on the nose. Lean. A touch young but won't cellar long but very drinkable now"

  • Les Jamelles Pinot Noir Vin de Pays d'Oc 2007: Ah, France. Even "country wines" can be fun. My quicky texted notes read "Dark color with ruby tints. Red berries on the nose, hints of oak (vanilla?). Jammy blackberries and cherries, nice tannins, smooth for a "country wine".


  • As I tasted I watched the staff who were very attentive to those at the bar and at the increasingly busy restaurant area. Cory and Elbert arrived and we were immediately seated. The ambiant noise level was a little high, the place showing good energy. For an appetizer we ordered calimari (my beau's favorite) and it quickly arrived hot with two dipping sauces. Nice texture, very yummy, hints of herbs and lemon and a great food to eat while chatting.

    Time to order dinner. Cory and I ordered the same thing, Coq au Vin, "Chicken with wine" while Elbert selected their Bleu Burger, an 8oz Kobe beef burger with bleu cheese (Tio Ely has an interesting story around his selection, ask him about it when you see him). The dishes arrived and I loved the Coq au Vin. The wine-braised meat was soooo tender it fell off the bone, the veggies showing the proper resistence to the bite while the "pomme souffle" was pretty fluffy for potatoes. During the meal Heather arrived and as good friends do only added to the enjoyment of the evening.

    I enjoyed my birthday (the enjoyment only increased when my beau came home that evening). I know that I will definitely go back to Cafe Bleu to explore more of their wines and their lovely food.

    Wines Reported On In 2009: 72

    No comments: