Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fess Parker Syrah "The Big Easy" 2006

I know, I know people get tired of me talking about the great wines I get from Fess Parker but I can't help it, they make excellent wines. The other night I had yet another one in their 2006 "The Big Easy", a wonderful Syrah that I think would make most palates jump for joy during the fall/winter seasons. This wine is dark ruby in the glass promising a bold experience and it does not fail to deliver. But unlike some that are pretty one dimensional "The Big Easy", like NOLA itself, is deceptive. It's not a basic, laid back, one-note place. Just like the blues, this wine is layered and deep, bold and smooth. The nose opens with blackberry jam with hints of blueberry, cola, red currant, graham cracker, mocha, and a touch of vanilla. The wine is full bodied, round with slightly dusty tannins and a fine acid structure to carry the dark fruit and spicy toastiness throughout the mouth and provide a fine, long finish.

This wine is just hitting its stride and should continue to evolve for another five years. Can't wait to see what happens then!

Number of wines reviewed in 2010: 123

No comments: