Thursday, August 5, 2010

Schloss Gobelsburger Gruner Veltliner 2008

The August 2010 issue of Wine Enthusiast boldly stated on its cover "If you like Pinot Grigio you'll love Gruner Veltliner". Well, I do like Pinot Grigio, its light citrus notes and crisp acidity makes for a beautiful wine on a hot summer afternoon so I wondered if I really would love Gruner Veltliner. The Gruner Veltliner grape is found mainly in Austria and the Czech Republic and is made into white wines of many different styles, most of which are meant to be consumed young. The wine I selected to take up the Wine Enthusiast challenge was the 2008 Schloss Gobelsburger Gruner Veltliner. This wine was light lemon in the glass and though it may have been a trick of the light seemed to have a light sparkle in my glass. The nose was very nice bringing to mind pear, hints of lemon peel and a few spicy notes that made me think crisp but surprising with some body (go figure). What the wine delivered to the palate was exactly that... medium/(-) body, medium-to-medium(+) acidity, spicy pears and just a little citrus combining to a medium/(-) length crisp finish. Do I love Gruner Veltliner? Can't quite say that, haven't tried the different styles but I can say they were right, this is a very easy wine to branch out to for something different. If you like Pinot Grigio or even the Kabbinet style German Riesling, give this wine a try on a hot afternoon... you won't be disappointed.

Number of wines reviewed in 2010: 107

No comments: